Thursday, November 19, 2015

Windows 10 and Virtual Desktops with X-Mouse

Since my first introduction to Linux, I have found virtual desktops to be a very interesting and intriguing concept. However, I could find no practical use for myself to be able to utilize them. That, and the fact that I really only used Windows to get things done for work and play, meant I never had much opportunity to try them out fully.

Then, a few years ago, I started using OS X (10.8) and with its wonderful trackpad (both on the laptop and external), virtual desktops became something much more useful. I could swipe between screens of programs seamlessly and loved it, but the implementation on multiple monitors (3) was less than extraordinary (at least, when I first started working with OS X).

Enter Windows 10 and its virtual desktops! Wait... How exactly do these things work? I have to hit WinKey+Tab on the keyboard then click a button with the mouse and to switch desktops I have to use WinKey+ArrowKey? This is never going to work for me. I am mostly navigating with the mouse and my fingers are on the home keys if I am typing. Then, it donned on me: What if I could make use of all these "buttons" on my mouse (Logitech M705) that I never use?

This is where X-Mouse comes in. The typical Forward and Back buttons on the thumb side of the mouse are now mapped to open and close virtual desktop and the mouse wheel that tilts (which I never have had any use for before) is now able to switch between these desktops.

I can now keep all of my applications open instead of being hid behind one another or trying to locate the little button on the taskbar. Now, I would be happier if Windows 10 would remember how many desktops I had open and where I wanted my programs, but it is a small annoyance and doesn't take long to get things set back up in the morning.

Note: Logitech's SetPoint software interferes with X-Mouse and also does not support the WinKey for mouse button assignment. If Logitech will update SetPoint to work with WinKey, then it could do all the work and provide access to the Application Switcher button (where the thumb rests) which does not work without SetPoint. X-Mouse does not see this button, so I have to hit WinKey+Tab manually (*shudder*) in order to move windows around between desktops, but that is rare.


by Christopher Scott via Everyone's Blog Posts - SharePoint Community

No comments:

Post a Comment