Tuesday, December 1, 2015

SharePoint 2016 this program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing

While setting up a lab environment for SharePoint 2016 Public Beta 2, everything went well up to when I tried to run the SharePoint Config Wizard. I was hit by this ugly error:

 

api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing

Psconfiggui.exe – This program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

After researching and troubleshooting I found out that I have this error because I was missing the Windows 10 Universal C Runtime update. This comes by default in Windows Server 2016, so this should only happen to you if you’re using Windows Server 2012R2. So, first thing, go to the download center and download KB2999226 here: http://ift.tt/1OvOlnc

Seems like a pretty easy fix, and in 80% of the cases this will work for you. If you manage to install it without errors, PSConfig should work for you with no problems. However, when I tried to install I had this error… The update didn’t apply to my computer.

 

That left me with a lot of questions, since I was sure that I downloaded the Windows Server 2012 R2 patch. What I discovered is that the Windows 10 Universal C Runtime KB2999226, is dependent on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Cumulative Update package in KB2919355 . So, if you have the “The update is not applicable to your computer”, make sure to run Windows Update first, then download KB2919355 and do a full reboot. Afterwards, you will be able to install the Windows 10 Runtime, and everything will work properly.

This post was written for SharePoint 2016 Beta 2, and prerequisites might change between now and then! I hope this saved you a few hours of searching on google and your update history! Don’t hesitate to drop a comment if this worked for you, and if you did something different!

 

Leave a comment and don’t forget to like the Absolute SharePoint Blog Page  on Facebook and to follow me on Twitter here  for the latest news and technical articles on SharePoint.  I am also a Pluralsight author, and you can view all the courses I created on my author page.

The post SharePoint 2016 this program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll is missing appeared first on Absolute SharePoint Blog by Vlad Catrinescu.


by Vlad Catrinescu via Absolute SharePoint Blog by Vlad Catrinescu

No comments:

Post a Comment